Makalu Base Camp Trek
The Makalu region in north east Nepal is a place of sublime beauty in terms of both natural and cultural heritages. It is home to the famous Mt. Makalu, which, at 8,476m is the fifth highest peak in the world. The region is protected as the Makalu Barun National Park and it covers an area of 2,330 sq. km.
Our trek starts in Tumlingtar and we make our way to the Makalu Base Camp on day 11. Due to the location of the Base Camp in a remote location, very few trekkers have set foot here. Those who have done so have been rewarded by the enchanting beauty of this place. The Makalu region is the habitat of the famous and elusive snow leopard. Various ethnic groups, mainly the Rai, Limbu, Tamang, Sherpa, Gurung, Brahmin and Chhetri commuties are the inhabitants of this region.
- Day 1
Arrival at the Tribhuvan International Airport. Transfer to Hotel.
- Day 2
Flight: Kathmandu to Tumlingtar. Overnight in Tumlingtar.
- Day 3
Trek to Khadbari. Overnight in Khadbari.
- Day 4
Trek to Bhotebas. Overnight in Bhotebas.
- Day 5
Trek to Fururu. Overnight in Fururu.
- Day 6
Trek to Num. Overnight in Num.
- Day 7
Trek to Tashi Gaon. Overnight in Tashi Gaon.
- Day 8
Trek to Col Khongma. Overnight in Col Khongma.
- Day 9
Trek to Numbuck. Overnight in Numbuck.
- Day 10
Trek to Sarsung. Overnight in Sarsung.
- Day 11
Trek to Makalu Base Camp (5000m). Overnight in Makalu Base Camp.
- Day 12
Trek to Numbuck. Overnight in Numbuck.
- Day 13
Trek to Khongma. Overnight in Khongma.
- Day 14
Trek to Seduwa. Overnight in Seduwa.
- Day 15
Trek to Chichela. Overnight in Chichela.
- Day 16
Trek to Tumlingtar. Overnight in Tumlingtar.
- Day 17
Flight: Tumlingtar to Kathmandu. Overnight in Kathmandu.
Note: Above holiday itinerary can be customized as our guest specific requirements and can make shorter and longer. We design your holidays accordingly.
- Return transfers from International and Domestic airport to your hotel.
- One night stay at the Hotel in Kathmandu.
- All government taxes and Makalu National Park entry fees.
- TIMS CARD (Trekking Management System).
- Required number of experienced English speaking guides and support staff (we pay for their daily wages, insurances, trekking equipments, food and accommodation).
- Tent accommodation during the trek on camping services.
- Necessary ground transportation depends on your services requested via tourist bus or private transport.
- Light for a night by Battery or “generator” as a group size.
- Trekking poles, sleeping bag (if necessary we provide).
- Trekking maps.
- Rubbish care to clean up the environment.
- PNT official services charge and government taxes.
Medical support: emergency first aid kit carried by the support staff
Camping equipments: We always provide every guest holiday trek with high qualities equipments: good qualities tent, Gas stove for food prepare, toilets tent and papers, kitchen tent with necessary utensils, Dining tent (for eating), table and chairs as a group, hand clean up towel and soap with tap water, Ice axe and sable.
Accommodation and meals: During camping treks an expert cook accompanies us and serves the best local dishes with different items on our plates. Both food and accommodation during camping treks are our responsibilities. We serve three meals on camping treks.
Breakfast Verities: Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, boil water/different kinds Tibetan bread, toast, omelet fried or scrambled, boil egg, porridge, musli, cornflake, chapatti, jam, honey, pinner butter, rice pudding, pani cake, butter, salami, sinoman role.
Lunch: Juice, tea (black/lemon/coffee), boil water/ sandwich, potato cheaps, different items bread, vegetable, macaroni, chaumin, fried/boil potatoes, plan chapatti, backbeans.
Dinner: Different items Soup, popcorn, prawan, cookies, papad/ local Nepali verities food (Daal/rice/vegetables/meat/pickle), pizza (vegetable/mushroom/chicken), burger, pasta, chicken meat, can meat, veg/non veg momo, spagity, noodles, tuna fish, sasit, spring role.
Desert: tea, coffee, milk, chocolate, boil water, cake, pie, seasonal fruits, tin fruit, mango, apple, banana.
Water: we serve with boil water drink along the trek either you can make tea or coffee for day trip. It should be better to bring good quality water bottle for trek.
- All meals in Kathmandu city.
- Tips to guides and support staff.
- Additional costs in case of emergency (You must have adequate travel insurance to cover any kind of emergencies).
- Internal flight tickets.
- Additional medication for altitude sickness (Acetozolomide etc).
- Personal expenses and any other unforeseen expenses.
- Personal trekking equipments.
Travel Insurances: –
Travel Insurances are compulsory for clients trekking or climbing with us. The insurance should cover you in case of emergencies like accidents, altitude sickness and ambulance and helicopter rescue charges if required. Please carry a copy of your insurance papers while travelling in Nepal and do send us a copy as well. This will help us in making all the necessary arrangements in case of any sort of emergencies.
Nepal has four climatic seasons
- Spring : March – May
- Summer: June – August
- Autumn: September – November
- Winter: December – February
While there are no seasonal constraints on traveling to Nepal, different regions are best visited in different seasons. Enquire about any trekking region and we will tell you about the best season to visit that area.
EQUIPMENTSCheck-list of personal equipment:
- Good standard trekking boots
- Camping shoes/thongs
- Down Jacket
- Trekking trousers
- Shorts (both casual and for treks)
- Swim wear
- Sun Hat
- Woollen Hat
- Nylon Windbreaker
- Strong Rucksack
- Sleeping Bag
- Water Bottle
- Torch/headlamp (with spare batteries)
- Toilet paper
- Sun block
- Travel Towel
- Medication (cough medicine, throat soothers, water purification tablets)
- Camera & lenses
- Memory cards
- GPS Tracking Units may be helpful
- Book/music player/pack of cards
- A plastic bag for waste
- Energy/snack bars
The following equipment are required during the Climbing period: –
(Warm Down Jackets, Sleeping Bags, Warm Trousers, Koflach Shoes, Trekking Shoes and Sandals, Perfectly fitting Crampons, Gaiters, Ice Axe, Jumar, Ice Screw, Rock, Picton, Snow Bar, 2 locking Carabiners, Gloves, Sun Glasses, Head Light, Helmet, Rope, Stove, Harness, Figure -8, Gore – Tax Jacket with hood).